Saturday, 19 November 2011

Black Hair: What's Hot Now: Milk Protein/Olive Oil Review

Black Hair: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Milk Protein/Olive Oil Review
Nov 19th 2011, 10:05

A deep conditioner is an important part of your hair care regimen. There are plenty on the market, and many of them work perfectly well as long as you remember to use them. This offering from M&M Products' sofn'free division is an inexpensive option to consider, especially if you love a little tingle on your scalp.

What's in It

I'm not going to list all the ingredients, but I will tell you about some of the main ingredients and allow you to make up your own mind. This product does contain a couple that may or may not give you pause, so consider carefully.

  • Petrolatum: Yes, one of the ingredients that I tell readers to avoid is in it. Because I use this as a conditioner that gets rinsed out instead of a leave-in, I can't say I've noticed any gumminess due to the petrolatum, but if your hair absolutely hates it, then this may not be the product for you.
  • Mineral oil: This one has gotten a bad rap, but more recent research has shown that mineral oil is a good emollient and lubricant. Normally, I don't use styling products with it listed as an ingredient because it makes my hair sticky and gummy, but I didn't notice that from this deep conditioner.
  • Milk protein: It works to strengthen your hair, but isn't as strong as a routine protein treatment, so it won't leave your mane dry and brittle.
  • Olive oil: When it comes to black hair, you really can't go wrong with a moisturizer like olive oil.
  • Menthol: This is what gives the treatment its little tingle, which makes my scalp feel great when I use it. If you have a dry, tight and/or itchy scalp, then this could be a big help to relieving that uncomfortable feeling.

How to Use It

Although you may think a deep conditioner should always be slathered onto your hair and left on for a period of time, with or without heat, the Really Deep Conditioning Treatment actually gives you options on how to use it. I usually suggest using a deep conditioner at least twice a month (more if your hair is dry due to coloring or frequent heat applications) in the traditional manner, but you can also use this product more often and in other ways:

  • Try it for your conditioner washes (co-washes) if you frequently wet-style your hair.
  • Use it as an instant conditioner the same way you do a regular rinse-out conditioner following a shampoo.
  • You can also try it as a partial leave-in conditioner, to give your tresses added smoothing benefits. Simply apply, comb through and don't rinse completely out afterward. This is probably best for shorter, natural styles.
  • Of course, you can always use it as your twice a month deep conditioner by smoothing through hair after shampooing, covering with a plastic cap and letting it sit for 30 to 60 minutes without heat, or 10 to 20 minutes under low heat.

However you use it, you definitely have options.

Where to Find

This was originally offered in a one-dose packet, and you can still find it at the suggested retail price of $1.99. If, like me, you want a big tub of product that will last a while, you can now get it; the suggested price for the 16-oz. size is $6.99. Look for the Really Deep Conditioning Treatment at local discount stores like WalMart and Rite Aid, and independent retailers.

Final Verdict

I used this the way I normally use a deep conditioner: without heat and leaving it on for about 45 to 60 minutes. It left my hair smooth and silky, and you can't beat that refreshing feeling the menthol gives. I also used it for a co-wash and was very pleased with the results. I used a paddle brush to comb it through and the brush moved through my hair with no trouble at all.

While I have some pricier products that I like better, this is a pretty good conditioning treatment for the budget-conscious consumer. Because I prefer to have different conditioners on hand, depending on what my hair needs at the time, I'll keep this in the rotation for days I want a lighter weight deep condition. If your hair is already in good shape and doesn't need an intensive treatment, use this to keep it in good condition.

Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment